As with any good buckeye nut the last few days before the first game of the season are twitchy! I can barely sit still and my mind pings from memories of past games and great times, so I figured I'd give all my loyal followers one of my favorite memories from my childhood.
No surprise to anyone, but going to a buckeye game with my dad is about the greatest thing ever and I have many great memories from my childhood of games and after games at roosters!! One of the best stories of a game day relates how important osu football is and how people around here just get it. When I was a kid I played everything (and was pretty good i'd say) from soccer to tetherball (spelling?) and I don't know how my parents kept up (time or money), amazing. Anyway, soccer was the first organized sport I participated in and still something I love to this day, but why they must play the games during the fall on saturday is beyone me? Well we always managed to get home for the games or schedule around the bucks. One day, when I was nine, it didn't look good. It was an early kickoff that saturday and my soccer game went into overtime (we already had the oranges just call it a tie!!). As soon as it was over, dad and I hoped in to his work truck (a stripped down blue toyota five speed with a Jim Croce tape stuck in the radio and about 200k miles on it!!) and tour ass to get home get changed and get to the game. We were playing Oregon and as we don't ever lose to ducks!! (see the rosebowl biotches) probably could miss a play or two, but NO!! We don't miss plays we get there and cheer on the bucks start to finish baby (unless its 400 below zero and iowa, another story). So we are going about 140 mph (probably like 75mph, but I was nine what did i know seemed like 140) down west case past the osu airport when a cop pulls over my dad. He comes up and asks what the hurry was and my dad (thinking quickly) says we are in a rush because he is taking his oldest boy to his first buckeye game and stupid soccer ran late (mind you i'd probably been to 3 or 4 games already at 9)! The cop smiled said thats great, get going, don't wanna miss that band!! How F-ing great is that, almost makes me cry! Hope one day my kid (kids if you ask Callie) have a memory that great, though i'm not sure i'd stop for a cop if I was late to a game?!
I would like to add a note to that later story(Iowa at 400 below). I still can't believe Dad sat through the entire game when we were losing.
ReplyDeleteno the bucks were up and iowa wasn't scoring in that weather and dad sat thru the second half with you knowing there was a nice warm RV with food and the game on the tv.
ReplyDeleteYes, Kids... and you better stop for a cop if you have one or any of my children in your car, DAVID!!!!!!
ReplyDeletebad boys bad boys, what u gonna do, what u gonna do when they comin fo you!! [kid ;-)]
ReplyDeleteGreat Story! My favorite memories with my dad will always be the drive from Massillon to Columbus and walking into the stadium. Give me chills still thinkin about it. 3 Weeks till I get to experience walking into the Shoe again. Chills again!
ReplyDeleteamen, can't wait!!
ReplyDelete