Monday, September 20, 2010

not what i sat out to write about

Last week my wife got some free tickets for the Crew game on Saturday night. The bucks were playing at noon so it fit our schedule real nice. Went to my parent’s house to watch the bucks, play with my nephew and let the dog run in my parents’ backyard (thus exhausting him and swaging our guilt for putting him in cage sat night). Headed out to the game about 6:45 for a 7:30 kick and some good soccer to top off a good day of watching football and enjoying a beautiful fall Saturday in buckeye land. Now for the bad news (and it has nothing to do with the outcome of the match on the ‘pitch’)… as we walked thru the parking lot, see people tailgating and playing soccer having a good ole time, we hear ‘hey it’s Callie and Dave’. This has happened to us all where you run into a friend out and you stop and talk, catch up etc etc etc…. So these are friends of Callie’s whom I’ve hung out with many times and enjoy hanging out with very much, so this will be a bit painful, but it needs said. I have talked with this (former) buckeye fan many a time about sports and other things and seemed (and probably is to normal people but I have issues, we all know this) like a real buckeye fan. He and his fellow crew tailgaters had been in the parking lot of crew stadium ‘tailgating’ since NOON. I did not stutter or misspeak, noon/12/12:00 military time! For those of you not following this was kickoff of the bucks’ game which was on cable, so they ‘listened on the radio’!! You had 4 hrs between end of bucks’ game and beginning of crew game to drive down and tailgate for F’ing soccer! Come on! What is going on, did Callie plan this and it was all a lie to F with me? I’ve seriously been thinking about it all day, I told the ladies at my office about it, I feel like a member of the team had a career ending injury (and yes I consider fans a member of the team, until you volunteer to pay for my Psychologist leave me alone, I know I need help). I won’t talk to him in the same way ever again, it will be like having a football conversation with the ladies at work or my mom or well most girls, I’ll be polite and informative where I can and in my head be wishing my brother, dad, Gary, Slack, Steve, Bill etc etc etc were there to really talk football. I’ve actually talked to my wife about (if this season goes well) making a serious attempt to curtail some of my ways when it comes to football and how I allow it to affect me and my behavior/mood. I can, want to, and will do so, but I will not stop watching EVERY game. I’m human, family comes first so if a life and death situation happens family comes before football, but sorry everything else can get done in the other 164-165 hrs in the week. Honestly, the only downside to how great my in-laws are is that it has more than doubled the number of people whom are more important to me than football, but they are family now and cool too. Man, I intended to do my picks for week 4 college football and that came out, maybe they should take 1 dollar of every ticket sale (70 bucks at face value if you can find them) and set up a free public clinic for us fans?! Reasons, not to see buckeye game, family emergency, kids whatever (although try and get your kids over involved in spring/summer sports so they have the fall free to be brainwashed), fighting for your country and that’s all I can think of. Oh or cable goes out during game, in which case you listen on radio till you can drive to closest place showing the game. I think my blood pressure is up, gotta go get some water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.