I hate and love lists of things. I like them because it is interesting to see what others think and I hate them because what others think is often stupid or at least not what I think, which when I'm being snobbish and all full of myself - anything not what I think is stupid!! Come on, if I was full of it, I wouldn't have a blog. Least I'm self aware of my occasional lack of humility!!
Anyway, this link will take you to Rolling Stones Magazines latest 100 greatest list: best guitar players of all time.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123/lindsey-buckingham-19691231
Now before I give you some thoughts I should say this should never be a category by itself, there should be technical vs spiritual categories, but there isn't so...
Any guitar player list should start this way, Greatest guitar players not named Jimi Hendrix and start numerically with 1b, so my 1b would be SRV, their number 12 and that's not even close to the biggest injustice on the list!! The biggest injustice on the list is that Mike McCready is NOT even on the list!! Who the F is the editor? Ask anyone (into rock n roll) to start naming Pearl Jam songs with insanely awesome, instantly recognizable guitar riffs, licks, and solo's: when they get to like song 15 and are still talking stop them and realize what a pig fuck decision it was to leave Mike of the list!! Paul Simon is on the list, I love Paul Simon, but does anyone know him for his guitar? S & G doing Bridge of troubled Water would make a British Palace Guard shed a tear, but not for the instrumentals. I could go on and on and on about the injustices on the list, but really their goal is to get people to buy the mag or read the article online and they succeed every time. So check it out and see whom you love that they slighted.
If anyone cares, my top 10
1a - Hendricks
1b - SRV
3 - Mike McCready
4 - Brian May
5 - David Gilmore
6 - George Harrison
7 - Jimmy Page
8 - Santana
9 - Eric Clapton
10 - John Mayer (this will be a shock to some of my friends, and yes his music is too commercial sometimes and I wish he'd get rid of the fluff, but check some live music from him, dude can wail as well as he can be weird and he is weird)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.