One of the perks of my job (when the weather is nice) is I get to leave the office everyday to go to the 5 banks around my office and drop off deposits. Bank tellers unfortunately are the kings of small talk and I hate small talk. My favorite tellers are the ones that keep it to the very minimum. The ones that I dislike the most act as if we have (or need to have because I try with short awnsers to not encourage the behavior) some running dialogue and connection beyond what we really have - a work acquantence. I dont care that you saw me here or driving there, really - you were on break and saw me next door at the other bank? Shocking, because I go there every fucking day Mr. Holmes!
My real curiosity is if anyone ever gets truthful with them? We tell kids not to lie but we all do. How many times a day are you ask hows your day or how is it going? Probably 3 times a day on average? And no matter how bad your day is, what do we say in a employee/consumer situation like teller/depositor or barista/caffeine junkie... You say fine/ok/good thanks or something along those lines. But you never ever say, well since you asked I'm in the depths of the lowest I've ever been where I'm teetering between angry and scared and euphoric misery that I thought only capable with drugs created in a cia lab to coax the truth out of terrorists... Or something like that - equal parts truth and embellishment designed to get you to never ask me how I'm doing again!
Probably not, but if it ever does happen, I hope I'm in line behind them so I can see it and smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.