The last thirteen plus months have been quite amazing. First and foremost I got married and had a wonderful wedding and party thanks to my wife and all her hard work. Then on Jan first of 2010 we began the year with a Rose bowl Victory which would kickoff one of the great concert, sporting, and travel years of my life. I was able to enjoy these moments with my wife, my friends, and our families.
In the spring Callie and I traveled down to visit her best friend in Tennessee while her then fiancĂ© (now husband) was in Iraq. The three of us went to Talladega for my first dega race and it lived up to the hype! Also, I was able to check of Georgia and Alabama on my states I’ve driven in map (go ahead and laugh I’d like to drive in all 50). Also, we drove thru some of the most amazing fog in southeast Tennessee in the early morning in Appalachia land. It’s always a great time in Tennessee with our friends and happy to say next time we get down there, we will all be together as chuey returned safely from serving in Iraq, which is probably the best news we all shared this year.
I was also able to go see the best band and live performers in the world this spring, Pearl Jam for those unaware. It was the third time I’ve seen them and as good as always! If you have a chance you should check them out.
Later in the summer I was fortunate to go to the Brickyard 400 at Indy and see one of the better races they’ve had there in a while.
This fall took Callie to see Jason Mraz, one of our favorite musicians. He is a great singer-songwriter; I’d say our generations Van Morrison – one cool cat! Also worth every penny if he’s in your area check him out.
Went to a Browns v Bengals game in Cleveland with my bro-in-law and his friend from NY and witnessed (yes I’m not making the next part up) the Browns win!! Over the bungals! It was truly a great day and there are great stories (too many to share) from this trip and maybe, hopefully a budding tradition for years to come. (Also, bill was able to go to the spring Bristol race and got some great memories and pics from that trip)
Finally, around are first anniversary Callie and I went on a honeymoon to Las Vegas. This trip was a double dip because it is where our Tennessee fam was celebrating their newlywed status and a family birthday. A large, fun, gambling crowd ‘tearing up’ Vegas! Well at least having lots of fun in a safe mature way. Callie and I did sneak away and went to Red rock National Park, Hoover Dam, and Lake Mead. Some great pictures there and in Vegas; a very special vacation with great memories and people.
And then there was football season…..
I was unbelievabley fortunate to see 3 buckeye football games live and in person! First, my California buckeye representative was able to travel back to see the bucks go 70 plus in the shoe (the 3rd time I’ve seen that happen). Hopefully it won’t be as long till we can get a chance to get Steve back to buckeye land for another live game. Second, Bill came thru with sweeeeeeet tickets for the Indiana game (so Callie and I got to come along) and the buckeyes laid another beat down! Third (“and most especially” as tress would say) I was able to go to “the” game with my longtime best friend Justin. He took me as a birthday/xmas gift that I will have to figure out some way of repaying. It was a great way to cap an unreal 10 yrs of winning. 9-1 against team up north, others can say it has lost this or that blah blah blah, bullshit. Its awesome, won’t last forever and I’ve been on the other side, so shut the F up, enjoy it and hold the memories because (hopefully not soon) it will turn and the rivalry always will be and is the best in sports. Period!
So that is a short (or short as I could make it) rambling ADD look at on of the most fortunate sporting, traveling, doing years of my life. Maybe my perspective or appreciation is just better for the things I’m fortunate to do? If so, it is because of my wife and family and age finally giving me some wisdom (even if it is a case of a little going a long way). Better late than never, right?
Truth be told, I’d give all the sports (yes even the buckeyes), concerts, travel up for no Cancer, divorce, job loss, illness, stress, regret, missed opportunities, infertility, and any other of the daily tribulations I/we all go thru. Of course that’s why we give thanks on thanksgiving and enjoy our hobbies and distractions so much, because we can’t get rid of the bad. We can battle it, we can over come it, we can make the best of it and we can survive it. So I choose to remember these positive things today, be thankful for them and for all the people in my life that makes them possible and enjoy them with me. If I didn’t have the people I do in my life to share these with they wouldn’t make great memories. I hope everyone can take a second to stop and reflect on the good in their year, use it to keep you positive and get thru the bad.
Funny thing is I usually consider myself a pessimist or glass half empty guy, maybe I’m growing? Hope so because I’m blessed. Not sure if I always deserve it, but I know I try and I learn and that works for me. Shit I make it to 70 and I’m gonna be one sappy old man. My dad is doing a lot of public speaking (well might I add) and I prayed before 2 meals this weekend, anything is possible. Go Bucks!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.