So, before I get to my main point let me clarify something so that I won't offend some so bad they stop reading before the end of this. I get more and more cynical as life goes on about religion, but I guess there has to be something behind all this, yet when I get really fed up I say there is nothingness. I'm probably wrong (and don't really believe in nothingness), its just I hate the philosophy that when things are good it is because of 'him' and when things are bad it is 'his' plan for us, huh? That seems convenient! Anyway, I'm getting off topic, my biggest problem with organized religion is extreme extreme bigotry and hypocrisy. I'll admit that the only time I'm a raciest or bigot is when I throw childish fits over sports not going my way, but I don't mean any of it, I calm down afterwards, and I know that I need to work on that because it is childish, silly and embarrassing that I still act that way at 32. Fortunately, I know I'm a good person that doesn't mean those things and I have an understanding wife who is trying to help me be better about such things. Unfortunately, there are many people who believe truly in the things I joke/rant about during sports and worse - and they use it in their daily lives. So having said all that here is my observations of a story that was on the news last night....
They had a story of some nuns having their 'wedding day' with Jesus/God. Let me first say, that is one of the more amazing forms of devotion (along with silent monks) to God. Two things I can't imagine giving up for anyone - sex and talking (also, two things everyone thinks they are better at than they actually are). But here is my question, if the religious rights reason for violating the rights of some by not letting them marry, is because marriage is "between a man and a woman" - how can nuns 'marry' Jesus? I mean - I know he was gods son taking human form, then was crucified for our sins, and finally resurrecting to be our savior - but now he is in heaven right? So he is no longer human or a man, thus a marriage between living women (nuns) to Jesus is not (by definition) a marriage "between a man and a woman". Clearly I am missing something or I'm applying logical thought to something that is not meant to have logical thought because the goal is control and power? Just my thoughts, but what a better world it would be if they printed Bibles/Torahs/Korans with only the parts that talk about loving thy neighbor, having personal responsibility for ones actions, and other positive non 'you'll burn in hell/chosen people/72 virgins' parts?
My wife asked me last week (i think because of American idol (worshiping false idols Oooooo!!) had inspirational songs) what would I sing (no one wants to hear me sing - promise you) if I had to sing an inspirational song and I said - Imagine by John Lennon. A no-brainer to me, but what do I know?
p.s. - if you tried to marry someone that had been dead for over 2000 years they would call that necrophilia, fyi.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.